Wednesday, May 26, 2010

I'm not dead (yet)...just working!

WOW! It's been waaaaaaaay too long since I wrote anything. If anyone is still bothering to check this thing, sorry about that (and thanks for being interested enough to wait it out! ;-). I'll try to be better. My sister got married (yay for Jenny & Kevin!), and I started working full time with my hubby. I won't go into all of my excuses because who cares!! But I've missed writing so here I go. So many subjects come to mind I don't know which to choose. I'll just grab the first one that comes to mind. Ready? Set. GO!

You didn't go.

You didn't go either.

Ok, on the count of 3 we'll both go. ok?

Ok. Ready? 1.......2......THREE!

You didn't go.

Neither did you!

Remember doing that? ha-ha. Total sidetrack. Sorry.

I'm going to write about 'The Biggest Loser' because I just watched the finale last night and it's the first thing that popped in my head. I also watched the 'Lost' finale the night before that, but I won't debate that here. (I liked it, Don didn't so much. That's all I'll say.) Believe it or not I really don't watch much tv (no time), but I do love those 2 shows. I love the Biggest Loser because it is so inspirational to me to watch people turn their lives around. They are so lost and sad and feeling out of control of their lives, but most of them get to that place where they realize, or begin to realize anyway, that THEY are in control if they want to be. All they have to do is take the reins AND DO IT. Once you do, it is so completely possible to do absolutely anything that you set your mind to doing. It's so simple, yet so many of us never realize this. I do realize this, and know it to be true, but I forget it often throughout my life. Or, I procrastinate, or even more likely I overthink it. Trying to play out all scenerios to the end to see what would be the best option to take. Often by this point the opportunity has passed or I'm too sick of thinking about it to care anymore. I will give a rather banal example from my life. Going out to eat.

I hear some of you who know me groaning right now. Yes, the simple act of choosing an entree can raise my heart rate. With many of the big decisions in my life, I barely bat an eyelash.

Live in England for a while?...Cheers, mate!

Travel across the country on a camp counselor's salary, an old car and a tent?...Gas 'er up!

Get married?...Call the minister.

Have children?...well maybe I should have given this one a little more thought ;-) JUST KIDDING KIDS!!! (no I'm not)

Anyway, most of the life altering decisions that come my way are easy. But to choose between a burger and a chicken sandwich? Torture. I need complete and total concentration to make this kind of decision, and after I order, and the waitperson walks away, I always lament what could have been. I picture it in my mind. What it may have tasted like. Would it have satisfied better than what I actually ordered? Now I'll never know.

It's stupid. I don't know why I have such trouble with the silly little decisions in life. My poor friends, sisters, and mother have to endure endless emails with pictures when I'm trying to pick out something like a rug or a door knob. Yes, I said door knob. (I went with the oil rubbed bronze, but often I wish I went with the aged bronze. sigh.) See what I mean?

Well, I think part of the reason I love the Biggest Loser so much is that they have one goal in mind, one purpose while they're there on the ranch, and they go for it. No at-home distractions, just themselves and their goal of getting healthy and losing weight. It's when they get home and are pulled in all different directions where the trouble can happen.

I often feel like I have just too many goals, and too many distractions. I wish I could have laser focus on just one goal and go for it. The problem is deciding what goal to go for first and for how long and at what (or who's) expense? It's like the menu choices. Too many!!! Do I tackle my fitness, the kids, my husband, the finances, my career,
the landscaping, the house interior, etc, etc. Everyone has distractions like this. But as I look at that list, it's more about priorities and balance I guess. I WANT to be able to go at things with that laser focus...I think I function better that way. One thing at a time. But family life, like I have chosen, really doesn't give me that kind of luxury. So what to do?

Thought of the day:
Just do the best I can today. Then do it again tomorrow. And then again the next day, too.

Try to prioritize and put out the big fires first, then maybe, just maybe I'll get a chance to focus on one thing.

Well, this subject went in a different direction than I expected, but I sometimes really don't know where I'll end up. I thought I was going to talk about inspiration, and turning your life around, believing in yourself and stuff like that. But oh well. It's ok. After all, I'm just doing the best I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment